Hotel Mariposa, Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
Sport and Flyfishing
Quepos is among the world's top destinations for sport fishing. If you believe the surrounding beauty of the Manuel Antonio National Park and the offshore islands are overwhelming, just imagine how you will feel catching a giant blue marlin! Quepos sport fishing prices are quite reasonable, and depend on how many people are in your group, where you go, the quality and size of the sport fishing boat, the equipment, the expertise of the crew, and the season.
Quepos fishing captains usually consider a half-day of fishing to be about 4 hours on the water, and a full-day of fishing is about 8 hours on the water. On the morning of a typical trip, the captain will send a driver to Hotel La Mariposa to pick you up and take you to the Quepos pier. All of the captains in the Quepos fleet provide food and beverages onboard, so you only need a few personal items like sunglasses, sunscreen, camera and your lucky fishing hat.
After being whisked to your boat aboard a dinghy, your captain will take you offshore for marlin and sailfish, or inshore for roosterfish, dorado and snook. Whichever trip you choose La Mariposa works with the highest quality operators in the Quepos and Manuel Antonio area to ensure an once-in-a-lifetime experience for the best possible value.
FISHING SEASONS :
- Marlin has its top month in October, but it's also good in September and November; occasional blues and rare blacks are likely to be found any time of the year.
- Sailfish are best from the middle of December to the end of April when they begin moving north, but the big schools move in October. A few sails always show from June through September.
- Tuna are easily found throughout the year along the Pacific coast, but are more abundant from June to September. Most are 8 to 12 pounders but you can make catches in the 100 to 200 pound range as well.
- Dorado begins with the winter rains late in May that wash debris from the river mouths creating the inshore trash lines that dolphins favor.
- Roosterfish are better in the mouths of the Parrita and Palo Seco, the mouth outside Damas, around Dominical and Drake's Bay. Best fishing is from June through early September.
- Snook are found in many river mouths along the coast, like the Naranjo and Savegre river. Best months are from July through November during the rainy season. Ask our in-house fishing expert about fishing in Quepos / Manuel Antonio